The Samaritans Hong Kong complies with Chapter 486 – the Personal Data (Privacy) Ordinance of Hong Kong. Personal data are collected for a lawful purpose directly related to a function or activity of the Samaritans Hong Kong. The data collected are adequate but not excessive in relation to that purpose. Personal data shall not be kept longer than is necessary for the fulfillment of the purpose (including any directly related purpose) for which the data are or are to be used. Your personal data shall not, without your prescribed consent, be used for any purposes other than the purposes for which the data were to be used at the time of collection; or purposes directly related to that purpose. You shall be explicitly informed of the classes of persons to whom your data may be transferred. All practicable steps shall be taken to ensure that your personal data (including data in a form in which access to or processing of the data is not practicable) held by us are protected against unauthorized or accidental access, processing, erasure or other use. You shall be entitled to request access to personal data in a reasonable manner; and request the correction of personal data.
The Data Collected via This Website
- Personal informationPersonal information, such as name, address, telephone number, e-mail address, date of birth (where appropriate), etc, is collected only in connection with specific activities, such as the promotion of courses and activities, research, survey, emails, newsletter subscriptions, and etc. You don’t have to disclose any of this information if you do not wish to.
- Browse RecordThe Samaritans Hong Kong collects data such as IP address (the location of the computer on the internet), pages accessed and files downloaded. This helps us to determine how many individuals use our site, how many people visit on a regular basis, etc. This information doesn’t tell us anything about who you are or where you live; it simply allows us to monitor and improve our service.
Statement on Personal Information Collection
The Samaritans Hong Kong collects and uses your personal data in accordance with the Personal Data (Privacy) Ordinance.
Purpose of Collection of Personal Data:
- Process, administer and communicate with you regarding any donations made by you；
- Inform our news, activities, fundraising matters, volunteering recruitment as well as to seek view to improve our services to you；
- Communicate with you in response to any queries or complaints submitted by you or in relation to your donations
- At any time, you can ask us for a copy of the personal information that we hold about you or request a correction or cessation of using of information in accordance with the Personal Data (Privacy) Ordinance.
Retention of Personal Data
Personal information submitted through the forms on this site is held only in our databases in Hong Kong. We promise that The Samaritans Hong Kong will not share the information you give to us on this website with any other organization unless you have specifically given us permission to do so.
When you look at this web site our service provider makes a record of your visit. This shows your Domain Name Server address and the pages you have visited. The service provider only discloses to us aggregate information about the number and types of visitors. This information will be used by us only for preparing statistics.
When you browse this website, cookies will be stored in your computer’s hard drive. The purpose of using cookies is for internal navigations / programming only. We will not collect any personal data from you under this circumstance. You have a choice not to accept the cookies, but if you do, certain functionality may not be available.
Personal Data of Donors
When making a donation by credit card or our online donation platform, your personal details are not sent straight away. What actually happens is that a secure link is set up between your browser and Stripe Payment Gateway and an encryption code is requested and received. This then protects the information and transaction details before leaving the The Samaritans Hong Kong’s donation platform for processing by Stripe Payment Gateway. The transaction does not take place at the Samaritans Hong Kong’s online system, and related banks shall not disclose your credit card information to any staff of the Samaritans Hong Kong. Your credit card information is solely for the purpose of processing donation payments.
Other personal information, such as your name, address, telephone number, email address, will be securely transmitted to The Samaritans Hong Kong for the purpose of sending the official donation receipt. You may receive promotional materials and updates about our work. You can also choose not to disclose your other personal information. And if at any time you do not wish to receive such information again, please email or write to us.
Information from Minors
If you are under 18, be sure to obtain your parent’s or guardian’s permission before you send any information about yourself (your name, address, email address, etc.) to us or anyone else over the Internet. We encourage parents to get involved with their children’s usage of the internet and to be aware of the activities in which they are participating.
This site contains links to other sites. The Samaritans Hong Kong is not responsible for the privacy practices or the contents of such Web sites.
Rights to Access, Correct and Request for Usage Cessation of Personal Information
At any time, you can ask us for a copy of the personal information that we hold about you or request a correction or cessation of using of information in accordance with the Personal Data (Privacy) Ordinance. Please write to P.O. Box 44277 Shaukeiwan Post Office, Hong Kong, by fax +852 2898 4463 or by email to [email protected]